}

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

TV ad: Dinner for two


This is an ad. It’s trying to sell something, and it’s also trying to sell good feelings, as so many ads this time of year do. Be that as it may, I think it's a sweet ad, and it’s the current NZ TV ad I like the best.

The ad is for Vodafone NZ, and it depicts a New Zealand Christmas dinner, but it focuses on two young lovers who are separated on the day. The end of the ad, when the boy shows what he’s written, is pitch-perfect.

According to Vodafone’s answer in the YouTube comments, the song in the background is called “Dinner for Two”, and was composed by Peter van der Fluit and produced by Sarah Yetto. I like the song, though it seems that it’s not available to buy anywhere.

All commercials try to sell something, and some do it better than others. Whether this one does or not isn’t my call, but, regardless, some ads just strike a chord with people. As one commenter said on YouTube, “Don't know why, but I love this ad.” That’s one measure of success.

Mostly, I just think it’s nice.

No comments: