}

Friday, August 29, 2014

Coffee and the brain


Without doubt, coffee is my drug of choice. Okay, technically it’s the delivery mechanism and caffeine is the drug, but let’s not split hairs, okay? The fact is that I must have a cup of coffee to wake up, and another to get going.

The weird thing is that I drink fewer cups of coffee a day now than I did only a few years ago. I say that’s “weird” because as I get older I tend to need more rev in my motor, but I don’t seek out the chemical stimulation of coffee. Instead, I just sort of persevere.

Coffee is, however, as Captain Kathryn Janeway of the Starship Voyager put it, “the finest organic suspension ever devised”. I heartily concur. Whether consumed for stimulation or mere enjoyment, it’s an awesome thing.

It’s probably good to know what it does to us and how it does it, though. The video above from ASAP Science shows that.

1 comment:

coreplane said...

Very interesting (slurp). Don't care how it works-- more coffee! If I could be consuming it on a starship 1000 light years from earth in the delta quadrant, I would be happier.