}

Friday, October 18, 2013

It’s a Red Flag


The music video above is by XELLE, an all-girl pop group. The group says this particular song
“was inspired by the recent increase in anti-LGBT sentiment, violence and legislation in Russia and around the world. As allies and members of the LGBT community, we wanted to speak out against injustice and inspire everyone in the world who supports equal rights for all to speak out and stand up for our brothers and sisters who are being persecuted.”
Who can argue with that? I certainly can’t. The song’s essential message is simple and in the lyrics:
“People shutting people out, I see a red flag
People taking people's rights, I see a red flag
See a red flag, see a red flag, gotta stand up for my brothers and my sisters
When they take away your freedom, it's a red flag
When they take what makes you human, it's a red flag
It's a red flag, it's a red flag, gotta stand up for my brothers and my sisters”
People like what they like and don’t like what they don’t, but for me, it’s nice to see pop music with a great message. The Harvey Milk quote at the very end is a nice touch. Plus, It’s got a good beat, you can dance to it, I give it a 9.

Complete lyrics are in the YouTube description.

No comments: