}

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Real life does not compute

Yesterday morning, when I was recently out of bed and barely awake, I went to get something out of a junk drawer. I pulled the drawer out a little too far and the drawer and its contents ended up on the floor.

My first thought was how much I wished real life had an Edit:Undo command. Well, to be honest, my thought was how I wish I could use the Macintosh keyboard command of Command-Z (which, of course, is Control-Z on a PC). I’m not sure which is weirder, that I first thought of a computer keyboard command, or that I wanted to use it on real life.

Many people, apparently, would change or edit aspects of their lives if they could. I’m not one of them. Sure there are things I wish had been different, but changing one thing would change other things, and that might mean I wouldn’t be where I am now. So, I’m glad that changing the past is impossible because I’m happy where I am (literally and figuratively) and I’d never risk derailing that.

Still, there are times when CMD-Z would be a nice option to have.

4 comments:

Mark from Slap said...

Whenever I'm drawing on our kitchen whiteboard and make a line I'm not happy with, I sometimes instinctively expect an undo action to be available. Which I guess it is---in the form of an eraser...

Arthur Schenck said...

Eraser? What, like the mechanical kind, as opposed the block or paintbrush-style in, say, Photoshop? You mean they still make those?!

[LaLa] Lauren said...

As dorky as it it, I too have instinctly thought EDIT:UNDO or Command Z whenver I've done a silly mistake, sans computer. What has the world come to! haha

Arthur Schenck said...

Well, I'd say the world hasn't come far enough, since we can't "undo" a stupid mistake!