}

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

AmeriNZ 83 - Normal Day


Episode 83 is now available, and it's free no matter where you get it from. You can listen to it or download it through the player at the bottom of the post here, or subscribe for free through iTunes here (you must have the free iTunes player installed). You can also listen to it for free through the player on my MySpace page.

Today is a normal day, so I’m going to tell you about a few things in the New Zealand news. New Zealand has become the first developed country in the world to sign a free trade deal with China. What does that mean? A NZ professor has called for a tax on butter (it won’t happen). A new survey claims that about 20% of New Zealanders back nuclear energy—or do they? There’s also a New Zealand fact with a Google tip. Comments follow next, with more about the topics discussed in them.

The outtro today is “I Still Remember” by Bloc Party, from the Podsafe Music Network at music.podshow.com. The band’s page on Podsafe Music Network.

Leave a comment. Or, you can ring my US listener line on 206-339-8413. Email me (won’t be read on the podcast) at arthur{at)amerinz.com. You can also still use my other address, amerinz[at) yahoo.com.

Running time: 27:17 (25.1 MB)

Links for this episode
Something for the Boys, music commentary about Bloc Party and other groups on GayNZ.com (a video of the song is there).


Get AmeriNZ Podcast for free on iTunes

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have a normal day from time to time.

That's such an odd story about the butter. I can't imagine having a weird tax on butter. And that story about the margarine when you were younger was weird too. I hadn't heard that before. Oh, and I haven't heard margarine said like that before....margarINE

Roger Owen Green said...

I thought oleo and margarine were the same thing. In fact, as I recalled, it used to be called oleomargarine. I see that there are some nuanced differences: http://eh.net/Clio/Conferences/ASSA/Jan_92/Dupre%20Abstract

Roger Owen Green said...

More on this topic than you probably want. Definition: http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?oleomargarine and http://dictionary.die.net/oleomargarine; Court case - The manufacture of artificially colored oleomargarine may be prohibited by a free government without a violation of fundamental rights...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0195_0027_ZS.html

Kalv1n said...

I wonder if there would be a tax on Crisco. ;) The China thing seems weird as well. And to think I was just yesterday watching people running through the streets with and blocking traffic yelling anti-china slogans. Sigh...

Arthur Schenck said...

Archerr: I loves me some normal days...

There won't be a tax on butter, but saying "margarine" that way taxes me. It's just a symptom of how I've had to adapt to Kiwi English.

Roger: Thanks for the links. It's probably more accurate to say it's more than I should know--my head is stuffed too full of often useless information as it is. Plenty of people will agree to that, I'm sure.

Kalvin: We don't have Crisco here, though there are similar things. The only time we see anti-China tirades is when MPs from one of the parties in Parliament start speaking...