}

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Podcast troubleshooting

As regular listeners of my podcast know, I’ve been having more and more trouble with the host site for my podcast, Podomatic. Problems include episodes being unavailable, downloads taking forever and episodes ending up being only partial.

I’m working on a permanent solution, but in the meantime, there are some steps you can take, and these may help you with other podcasts you’re having trouble accessing:

1) If you subscribe to a podcast through iTunes and you get a partial download, delete the partial download. Then, go to the iTunes Store and search for the podcast in the “Search iTunes Store” window (in my case, enter “AmeriNZ Podcast”). When you get to the podcast and the list of all the available episodes, click on “Get Episode” for the partial one. And it will start downloading. Sometimes, you may need to repeat this procedure, as I did with my Episode 81, where it took three tries to get the complete episode.

2) If you get the exclamation mark error (!) on iTunes, wait awhile and hit “Refresh” (lower right hand corner of iTunes window). Sometimes there’s just a problem with the host servers and they need time to correct. Wait hours or a day, but if the problem doesn’t clear, you may need to try a manual download as outlined above.

3) Almost all podcasts offer a manual download option. If the host site can’t communicate with iTunes, you may still be able to download it manually. In my case, the shownotes here always have a “right click” option, and you can go to my Podomatic site for direct access, too. That’s true for other podcast sites as well.

These suggestions may help you access my podcast or others you’re having trouble with. But I hope to get mine sorted out pretty soon that no one will have to mess with any of this. Details to follow.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Well, today (Monday) I WAS able to download thru iTunes your anniversary show first time out as opposed to my frustration this past Friday.