}

Monday, September 24, 2007

AmeriNZ #40 – No Way

Episode 40 is now available, and it's free no matter where you get it from. You can listen to it or download it through the player at the bottom of the post here, or subscribe for free through iTunes here (you must have the free iTunes player installed). You can also listen to it for free through the player on my MySpace page.

I'm FINALLY back, after no Internet access and some other barriers to podcasting. I talk about that first. Then, after a few things going on around here, it's on to some things in the news--climate change, wacky christians and indigineous rights. The issues just keep coming! After comments, it's a couple things leftover from epsiode 39. If you'd like to comment by email send it to me at amerinz(at]yahoo.com and put “Comment” in the subject line so I'll know to read it on the podcast.

Mentioned in this episode:

NZ Emissions trading system announced

UN resolution on indigenous rights and also “NZ indigenous rights stance 'shameful' - Maori Party”

Confessions of a Southern Boy In Yankee Land

PodcastSoup.net

ArcherRadio YouTube Channel


Get AmeriNZ Podcast for free on iTunes

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Arthur. You mentioned the spring cleaning days in N. Illinois and immediately made me homesick. We knew the date for the spring cleaning day at our town and every one nearby and we called them "Get it. Get it" days. We'd get as many friends as we could, with different cars, and go on a crazy scavenging bender to see who could get the most awesome stuff. I think the last time I went before I moved away I got a stand lamp, a plastic toy castle, a huge box of unopened smaller boxes of tissues (which were apparently promotions for some pharmaceutical company meant to be given away at trade shows) and a bunch of other wonderful crap! My friend found a wheelchair. Yeehaw. Hooray for spring cleaning day!

Rebel Yankee said...

You are a sweetheart! Thanks for the huge plug, I greatly appreciate it. Good episode again, by the way, especially your discussiong of the U.N.

Anonymous said...

yeah, what those two said above.

Glad to hear you are back with internet access. It really sucks not having a connection. I hate when that happens.

Kalv1n said...

That whole internet access thing sounds terrible. What would you expect of a 3rd world country though. I thought it was interesting how you said that all the hyphenation keeps us at war. I think it's just the opposite. I'd much rather hear, gay-american over faggot, or african-american over nigger, or asian-american over chink, mexican-american over spic. Sure there is no european-american because being white is considered the norm and invisible (hence the recent growth in critical white studies). This is a long and drawn out way of saying that the hyphens are an attempt at understanding and certainly an improvement over what we had in the past. I think the farming thing sounds quite self serving. And I already looked at your post a long time ago. I thought I would frustrate you by not saying anything about it in the same way you took forever to post it.

Kalv1n said...

Oh and if you don't vote for hello kitty, I curse you to never find good parking, I curse that your shoes will always come untied, may you have scabies that are incurable, may your breath be marked by the stench of halitosis, and may no one ever talk to you at parties.

Arthur Schenck said...

Will: I fondly remember that scavenging! In Chicago I once found a great cart to put my microwave on, lots of smaller stuff, too. But in Northeastern Illinois I mostly remember it as a time to get rid of stuff, and I can't tell you how glad I am to know what happened to my wheelchair!

Eric: I plug the podcasts I like, and especially if there's something on an episode that I want to mention. I hope you're enjoying all the new connections, because I think the sense of community is great.

Archerr: Now how come I never thought of saying that in your comments section? Just goes to show why you're the Godfather....

Seriously, I am more glad than I can say that the Interwebs seem to be back.

Kalvin: I completely agree with you about hyphens. When I said that people need to get over them, I meant they need to relax. I think that keeping our multiple identities makes life more interesting and exciting. If anything, celebrating diversity like that ought to make wars less likely because there'd be a greater chance we'd have something in common with others.

So NOW I know why no one commented on that post...

Apparently your curse worked: Not only did Hello Kitty win the poll, the votes doubled after the curse was laid.